Thursday 6 January 2011

Hidden Camera & Modern Art

Today I went to Lousiana (the Danish Art Museum) with my ma on her day off, to go check out some jazzy fluffy stuff in the cold harsh weather.

Anselm Kiefer was half great half pretentious laziness. He made a big book "as a symbol of knowledge" and "you can know so many conflicting things" (yes, I love paraphrasing). Well, yes and your point is? It was very self centred only exploring himself and his heritage, obsessing about Nazi's, power and what is German (he's German), just incredibly egocentric. He had a series of pieces that he called "Herioc Symbols" where he travelled around to different cultural places in the world taking photos of himself doing the Nazi gesture of raising your hand straight out in the air, and made paintings of this. Horrible sloppy paintings of himself "heiling" in different places.
You see my point...
This is how it the lazy filler-pieces were justified:
"When the artist stands in the bathtub, as if walking on water, with his hand theatrically raised in the Heil Hitler salute, he picks away at a past of which he has no first hand memory. And at the same time the work carries the past and the tainted gesture into the present, to where we stand now. It was crucial for the young artist born on the losing side, in 1945, not only to confront the future, on which so many were taking out patents, but also to create a kind of living memory of the past." Overall valid points, but yeah right the author was working from this perspective...

The Walton Ford exhibit on the other hand, ticked all my boxes! Stunning larger than-life sized water-coloured animal portraits! Yeah it may sound daft, but it was incredibly well thought out, such great detail, made to look antique in style with relevant literature referencing (in the style of James Audubon), reflecting human acts and traits, and finally, grotesque up close when you realised what was going on.

The day in photos:

Before going to the Museum we got some pizza,
because the museum food is too healthy
Mom drinking some of my 10.6% beer
The walk from the train station is full of fancy trees
More fancy plants at the entrance:
The classiest "sale"-sign I've ever seen in my life:
I was so sneaky with the camera, I knew it wasn't allowed
Hence the awkward angles..
Anselm Keifer's cooler stuff, worth sneaking around for:

After this photo, security told me photos weren't allowed:
Cheeky intermission art, in between the galleries:
Walking through tunnels and down stairways looking for the second show

"I don't look at art, I am art"
Finally after walking through this labyrinth we got to Walton Ford!!!
Again, a very spacious exhibition layout

And I thought I'd wrap up with a full-stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment